Are consumers souring on season passes?

GameDealDaily.com Forums Video Game Discussion Hub General Gaming Discussion Are consumers souring on season passes?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by TYLERxDURDEN TYLERxDURDEN 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bigandtasty
    Bigandtasty
    Participant

With games like Evolve, Star Wars: Battlefront and Battleborn having issues with player count and DLC practices, is it possible that season passes may become less popular in the future? I don’t expect them to be gone anytime soon, but maybe less popular games will avoid them if publishers don’t feel they have a surefire hit on their hands.

Of course, publishers may ascribe any number of reasons to why these DLC-focused games have had issues, and it’s hard for the end user to know how many people are buying these DLC packages.

Zeus
    Zeus
    Participant

Battleborn should have launched free to play with an item shop specializing in cosmetics (skins, taunts, voice packs, etc.) It would have done MUCH better against Overwatch, and would have been seen as a free alternative. Instead, they double-dipped, with a $60 price tag and item shop within a few months of launch.

Blizzard can double dip (like with the Diablo 3 cash shop) and more or less get away with it, because they are Blizzard, and their King Midas touch hasn’t failed them since the 90s. Gearbox is no Blizzard. I love Borderlands, but Duke Nukem Forever? Aliens: Colonial Marines? Gearbox is hardly a guarantee of quality. It’s not the kind of publisher that inspires a lot of blind pre-orders.

League of Legends debued as free to play, and it gave them a HUGE advantage over Demigod and Heroes of Newerth. Multiplayer focused games NEED players! That’s what killed Titanfall, Evolve, etc., etc. Get enough players, and the 5% of “whales” will keep you in business for 10 years. They could have even gone the Smite route, with weekly champs, and then a reasonably priced “own them all” pack. Instead, they got greedy.

Bigandtasty
    Bigandtasty
    Participant

Battleborn should have launched free to play with an item shop specializing in cosmetics (skins, taunts, voice packs, etc.) It would have done MUCH better against Overwatch, and would have been seen as a free alternative. Instead, they double-dipped, with a $60 price tag and item shop within a few months of launch.

Agreed. Too often companies try to make their products similar to one another rather than differentiating themselves and cultivating a separate audience.

Zeus
    Zeus
    Participant

And people might also be getting burned by their past experiences with season passes. Like, it’s easy to want one in that Honeymoon Phase, when the game is just sooo cool. But maybe a month down the line, you’re burnt out and realize aren’t nearly as excited to experience the additional $60 in content you *already bought*. I could see something like that making people adopt a “wait and see” stance from then on.

DarkCobra86
    Participant

Yea, get rid of season pass. I hate it.

Ginormous76
    Participant

How many people were disappointed in what the Arkham Knight season pass turned out to be? That was a great game with a terrible season pass. I have two rules for season passes
    1) If it’s a multiplayer game, don’t buy it until the first pack drops. If I don’t want to play the game any more, I haven’t wasted any money. If I do, it will still be the same price.
    2) If it’s a single player game, I generally wait for it to go on sale or at least until you know what the packs are going to be. This one is trickier, but I have learned that all full TellTale series have gone on discount before episode 5 has come out. For Arkham Knight, none of those packs interested me. For Fallout 4, only Far Harbor seemed at least a little interesting.

Yung_SB
    Participant

I believe most season passes get bought depending on if a game has multiplayer of it’s a good game like Zelda.

TYLERxDURDEN
    TYLERxDURDEN
    Participant

Personally, I think gamers’ attention span is decreasing. The average gamer doesn’t plan on sticking with one game for 6 months to a year. That kind of defeats the purpose of season passes whose content is months away.

I’d be interested to see a comparison of season pass sales vs. “complete” edition sales. How many people are buying the content up front and how many are waiting until all the content is available on one disk for a lower price?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.