How Good is Zelda Actually?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Yung_SB 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    TYLERxDURDEN
    TYLERxDURDEN
    Participant

Who here has had a chance to play Zelda?

I’m trying to get a feel for how great this game actually is. While part of me is skeptical, the other part finds it difficult to dispute unanimous praise from the critics. From what I have read/heard, the game takes some risks breaking rules of open world games and they pay off. For instance, Zelda doesn’t seem to respect your time. While that would be a bad thing in most open world games, it sounds like the lack of direction and explanation for the player leads to a sense of discovery in this case.

Anywho, what are your thoughts?

CrystalRhinoz
    CrystalRhinoz
    Participant

Having played all the Zelda console games since Ocarina of Time, I can confirm that a lot of these get bonus points for simply carrying Zelda on the title. It’s probably the same for Breath of the Wild. Can’t say, cause I’m only at like 10% completition. But the the games are still fantastic, BOTW more so than any other aside of the two N64 classics.
    Some things that I like a lot and want to bring up:

-The open world is very well designed. It’s fun to explore. Some trailers might make it seem like it’s just grassy plains, but I find geography easy to navigate and distinctive enough to find your way back to roads and more(unlike Skyrim) without constantly using your map. Placement for everything has been well thought-out. Some other open-world games seem to have half of their sh*t randomized.
    -Shrines. 120 unique mini puzzles/challenges. These bring a great sense of reward while avoiding to feel tedious due to their short length.
    -Gameplay. The way you control link has finally evolved. Is not the best, but it’s good. And because we have been stuck with OcarinaofTime-like movement for to long, it feels great.
    -The RPG elements. Cooking, hunting, weapons, gear, etc. There’s a lot to do here, but it’s mostly up to you to figure out, which is great. Not much of hand-holding.

I’m definitly leaving out a lot, but that’s what comes to mind right now. Feel free to ask any questions.

TYLERxDURDEN
    TYLERxDURDEN
    Participant

The open world is very well designed. It’s fun to explore.

Not much of hand-holding.

I feel like those two points are key and what make the game work so well. The game doesn’t hold your hand but because everything was so carefully crafted, it doesn’t have to. It’s funny how something that sounds so simple was probably extremely difficult to nail.

d3bugu
    Participant

Well, Zelda Breath of Wild is my first ever Zelda and I’m in love with it.. thats explains how good and well made it is.

DarkCobra86
    Participant

I haven’t played a lot of Zelda games but Crystal touched on it already. Also, if you like solving puzzles and the unique requirements to beat each boss then Zelda is a game for you. Puzzles aren’t that hard but it is fun to figure it out. In general the bosses are pretty straight forward but it is fun that once you obtain an item in a dungeon it usually is the requirement to beat the boss. Thus the game forces you to learn to use the item which will hopefully get you better with it for other dungeons and what not. You can’t just brute force a battle with a boss by just hitting them.

And lastly, who doesn’t want to just be the hero of time and take down the Prime Evil himself?

Yung_SB
    Participant

Zelda the GOAT if you love games that got content and a real story to it. ALso if you looking to be challenge and was born in the generations before it was walkthroughs and cheats then Zelda the game for you because you’ll get lost trying to figure out what to do at a point in every Zelda game ever, but that’s how you know the game good because it forces you to think.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.