What is the most unique game you played this gen?

GameDealDaily.com Forums Video Game Discussion Hub General Gaming Discussion What is the most unique game you played this gen?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 25 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Ginormous76 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    TYLERxDURDEN
    TYLERxDURDEN
    Participant

My top three would probably be:

3: LAIR
    2: Afrika
    1: Heavy Rain

LAIR and Afrika both have their issues but they certainly standout as original titles with unique ideas compared to the other games released this generation. Heavy Rain is miles ahead from a technical standpoint but still retains that unique look and feel. In addition there is a long list of downloadable games that were really original this gen too.

What about you guys? What games stood out to you this gen as unique?

iamthemilkman
    iamthemilkman
    Participant

Domino Rally – Words can’t explain how unique and weird this game is.

The Walking Dead – No other games I’ve played, including role-playing games, have made your choice have such serious consequences.

Demon’s/Dark Souls – Super punishing games with innovative online interaction.

Resonance of Fate – Hex system and combat engine.

Alice: Madness Returns – Not only are these kinds of 3D platformers rare on the systems it released on, but the art direction is so unique and completely its own.

Deadly Premonition – What the f just happened?

Nier – There’s nothing else like it. It’s unique that a game can evoke so many emotions from the player, but Nier did it time and time again.

Lost Odyssey – A Thousand Years of Dreams, because it did the same thing Nier did. It did something wonderful for what is mostly a standard JRPG.

Mirror’s Edge – There’s nothing else like it.

TYLERxDURDEN
    TYLERxDURDEN
    Participant

"iamthemilkman" wrote:
    Nier – There’s nothing else like it. It’s unique that a game can evoke so many emotions from the player, but Nier did it time and time again.

OUCH! Nier is my number 2! That’s def more original than my 2 and 3 picks!

I still have to play Resonance of Fate. I own it but RPG’s take alot of time and energy and I haven’t had the motivation to get into it yet.

No121Else

This can be said for so many titles that I have played, but most games are Unique so it depends on what you define it as. Red Dead Redemption is one of the only true to next gen westerns does that make it unique? Because tons of open world titles exist out there as well.

Some of these titles are just there because they did something new for the genre others are just unique in that nothing similar has been done, I also will just cut my list short because there are tons of titles I could put on it.

skate.
    Baja: Edge of Control
    Portal/Portal 2
    Assassins Creed
    Mirror’s Edge
    Dark Sector

maxapero
    Participant

For me, i must say:

Dark souls
    Mirror’s Edge
    Dead Space

Nothing more like tose 3!

fro-man56

So no one thought Alan Wake was pretty unique? I’d say it was pretty badarse

Buzzman

Splosion Man.

genxsis83
    Participant

Wow unique is not so unique for most people ^^
    For me unique would have to be Sword and Sworcery I am playing through right now.
    Dark Souls was awesome but not necessarily unique in my opinion.

Hostile
    Participant

If Ouendan counts as this gen that would probably take the cake.

iamthemilkman
    iamthemilkman
    Participant

"genxsis83" wrote: Wow unique is not so unique for most people ^^
    For me unique would have to be Sword and Sworcery I am playing through right now.
    Dark Souls was awesome but not necessarily unique in my opinion.

I found Demon’s/Dark Souls worlds oppressive and punishing, which is more than I can say for other role-playing games. Also, you can’t argue that the "mingleplayer" isn’t unique as hell.

Sword and Sworcery didn’t seem very unique to me.

EeveeFanboy
    Participant

Surprised no one has said Flower. Pretty unique game I’d say. Some other notables are… Afrika, Aquanaut’s Holiday, LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronicles, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Portal, Magicka, Orcs Must Die!.. A lot of those share elements with tons of other games, but they’re the only ones that change the formula enough to make an old genre feel fresh.

TYLERxDURDEN
    TYLERxDURDEN
    Participant

"EeveeFanboy" wrote: Surprised no one has said Flower. Pretty unique game I’d say. Some other notables are… Afrika, Aquanaut’s Holiday, LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronicles, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Portal, Magicka, Orcs Must Die!.. A lot of those share elements with tons of other games, but they’re the only ones that change the formula enough to make an old genre feel fresh.

Honestly, I only steered clear of downloadable games because mentioning one opens a can of worms. There were so many original PSN and XBLA titles this gen that I could never mention them all.

No121Else

"TYLERxDURDEN" wrote:

Surprised no one has said Flower. Pretty unique game I’d say. Some other notables are… Afrika, Aquanaut’s Holiday, LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronicles, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Portal, Magicka, Orcs Must Die!.. A lot of those share elements with tons of other games, but they’re the only ones that change the formula enough to make an old genre feel fresh.

Honestly, I only steered clear of downloadable games because mentioning one opens a can of worms. There were so many original PSN and XBLA titles this gen that I could never mention them all.

Exactly, I have so many Arcade titles and usually I buy them for being unique.

iamthemilkman
    iamthemilkman
    Participant

Anyone mention Journey and I’ll punch myself in the balls.

I did find Flower pretty okay. Flow and Journey lesser so.

As disappointing as N&B was for not being the sequel I wanted, it was still a pretty fun and unique game. I wish they’d use that graphics engine more.

TYLERxDURDEN
    TYLERxDURDEN
    Participant

"iamthemilkman" wrote: Anyone mention Journey and I’ll punch myself in the balls.

Journey! Journey! Journey!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.