Sony played it conservative this year but the arsenal still came off strong. Microsoft had some great games but the best stuff was multiplatform. The third parties all did better than expected and even doubled down on VR content. Nintendo brought out the big guns and delivered some serious surprises.
I didn’t watch it. But from what I saw so far on facebook. I definitely saw some big games coming out for the Switch which I think will make it really successful. I’ll post more as I get caught up with all the news.
Overall there were some good surprises, but individually, none of them did great. As for who won I’d have to say f*cking Ubisoft…. My ratings:
* Ubisoft – 8, MarioRabbids actually looks great, not cash-in. All their games look solid, only time will if good or just average. Could have been 8.5 without JustDance.
* Nintendo – 7, Their games look great, but needed more. Showing the words Metroid4 in dev. doesn’t count.
* Microsoft – 6.5, a lot of new games, but needed one big new game to show off the Scorpio. All the talk about running Mine-craft and those other pixelated games on 4k didn’t help their pitch. And a lot of these indie-esque console exclusives seem to be timed(going by an interview with Spencer).
* Sony – 6, only thing new were VR games and a remake of Shadow of the Colossus. Spiderman gameplay looked great.
* EA – 6, typical EA presentation. The presentation was bad, but most of the games showed actually aren’t, so 6.
* Bethesda – 2, cringy as f*ck during the whole presentation, audio-sync problems, poor edited trailers, f*cking BethesdaLand killing any possible momentum build-up between vids, PAID mods for Skyrim and Fallout4. The Wolfenstein bit at the end wasn’t bad, but the whole let’s kill nazis concept it’s just meh.